Sunday, May 23, 2010

What's happening now!




















First time driving the new LEAD Land Cruiser, very cool.

Its once again been a while since I've posted, but recent events have 'inspired' me. Last week Thursday I got into a minor collision on my motorbike, which has put me out of action for a while. While crossing an intersection, a driver didn't see me and the front bumper of the SUV crunched my ankle into the side of my engine. My boss Allen gave me a ride to the the JFK hospital and we had it checked out. A quick tip for anyone travelling in Liberia: don't, for any reason, make your way into JFK hospital. Your wheelchair will be ran into walls, you'll be commanded to lay down on freshly blood splattered gurneys, and sit three feet away from an eight year old boy screaming while getting his flesh eating disease wounds changed. Not fun, although, you do get hot chocolate, and cornbread, with mayonnaise.

Saturday some friends took me to the Catholic Hospital, a much nicer place, where you are welcomed by a large sign made of taped together printer paper sign that reads "CARING IS NOT REWARDING."

Anyways, after a second round of x-rays we've concluded that there are no broken bones, but I have a half-cast on, and I'll probably be on crutches for a few weeks. I'm limited on mobility, which is a huge drag, especially in non-handicapped accessible Monrovia.


The Cape Mount County office.

So, aside from getting clobbered by SUV's, life has been great! Loan disbursements are still happening, the LEAD mentoring program is expanding, and I'm really enjoying life here in Monrovia. My friends are great, and we're exploring the city and countryside. Weekends are usually taken up by surfing trips to the Robertsport beach, two hours away, or places like Blue Lake, Liberia's second largest lake, which was formed when an 900 foot deep quarry filled in with rain water after it was abandoned during the war. The UN Pakistani engineer soldiers have built a small beach, diving boards, and palava huts which make for a great weekend destination.


Blue Lake, Bomi County. An old quarry mine, beautiful!



John Briggs, a Kiva Fellow working with another MFI called LEAP, and a cool dude, who is changing the tire on the old Land Cruiser after getting one of MANY flats that tend to happen.



Us, having fun at Robertsport. Some Swiss guys drove here, like all the way overland, and then we drove their vans out onto the beach. And got them stuck. Photo cred. to John Briggs



Celebrating Victory getting them unstuck! Photo cred to John Briggs.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. I'd love to get to Blue Lake with students, we'll be up in Bomi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its much better than i'd even expected! bring: frisbee, rope for rope swing, inner tubes, grill & ingredients, cooler, ice & refreshments, camera. oh, and a spare tire and working jack.

    ReplyDelete