Friday, April 15, 2011

EAW status: CONFIRMED!

Well, after a cumulative total of 24 months spent living, working and travelling in five developing countries I've finally gotten malaria. Oh, and 'typhoid'. I hadn't been feeling well all week and finally decided to get it checked out. The Chinese have a clinic in Monrovia which doesn't look like much, but had me see a doctor in less than five minutes and had my blood drawn and tested in another 15. The tests came back positive for malaria and typhoid. It could mean I have both, but quite often they throw in one with the other and just treat you for both.

In any case, I've been somewhat looking forward to getting malaria. You see, I've always felt its a real mile stone; a right of passage for EAWs (expat aid workers), if you will.

I hope my light tone will reassure you that this is not a major problem. It should of course be treated properly, but its quite common. I have my big bag of meds from the pharmacy and I'm busy eating something so I can get started on the them.


Hmm, April 15. I feel like I had something due today...

Speaking of tax returns, I'm still working on that ol' fundraising budget. If you find yourself unexpectedly flush with cash these next few weeks, keep your buddy Derek in mind. All donations are quite appreciated, and tax deductible :)
Give online at partnersworldwide.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment